Wednesday, September 12, 2007

chances to shut up and listen

The LORD has given me many opportunities this week to just shut up and listen to others. The listening wasn't always fun as one student told me I'd offended him by something that I had said a few weeks ago, but at least he was willing to let me know so I could apologize. I had another student whine, complain, and argue with me. I'd have to say that I was terribly sinful in my reaction, and I was not glorifying God nor being a peacemaker during that exchange. I got the chance to apologize to her this week, too, but she argued with me that she didn't think she'd done anything wrong, just me. I took it and didn't say anything to defend myself. If you know me at all, you know how hard that would be for me being as arrogant as I tend to be. I asked the LORD to humble me, break me, give me opportunities to be a peacemaker and represent His name. It hurts, just sitting there and taking it; it flies against everything the flesh tells you to do; but how glorified is He when I defend myself in my flesh? How honoring am I to Him when I make it about me? We have a great God who listens and does incredible things. Are you expecting it? Am I? When I look into the mirror (Scripture), am I truly looking intently in order to see His reflection so I could be transformed into that image, the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God? Take a look at ii cor 3.18-4.4 to see where I got that terminology. He is a great God who wishes to reveal Himself to a world veiled to the truth of His Gospel because of the god of this world/age. He not only wants to reveal Himself to us, but to then transform us into that image and reflect Himself even further through us as vessels. What a great privilege and responsibility! Who am I reflecting: my fleshly self or my glory-radiating King on high?

No comments: